When DIY goes bad: Builder stuck to a floorboard for four hours after slipping and firing a five-inch nail through his HAND

By ANTHONY BOND

Gruesome: Alan Williams was doing some DIY at his home when he slipped at the top of the stairs and accidentally fired a five-inch nail through his left hand. This picture was taken when Mr Williams was at hospital being treated for his injury

When men attempt a spot of DIY around the house, it can often go disastrously wrong.
But rarely does it go quite as badly as it did for builder Alan Williams.
The 46-year-old was at his home in Market Drayton, Shropshire, when he slipped at the top of the stairs and accidentally fired a five-inch nail through his left hand.
Mr Williams was left nailed to the floor for nearly four hours unable to move or get help.
It was only when his partner and staff nurse Suzanne Amos got home from work at around 11pm that he was found - shivering and going into shock.

Grim: Mr Williams was left nailed to the floor for nearly four hours unable to move or get help until his partner got home from work. This image shows him in hospital with the floorboard still attached to him

Miss Amos had been expecting a cup of tea and her dinner after finishing her shift but instead found herself dialling 999 to get help.
Mr Williams said: 'I slipped at the top of the stairs and put my left hand down, and then the nail gun in my right hand went onto it - bang.
'I was pinned to the floor, I couldn’t move, but actually there wasn’t much blood and I wasn’t in pain.
'After three hours though my leg was starting to go numb and I was very cold, I was grateful when Suzanne walked through the door.'


Lucky: Incredibly, the high-powered bolt went right through Mr Williams' hand but missed vital tendons and veins. He is pictured here next to the floorboard which he became attached too

As these pictures show, the high-powered bolt had gone right through Mr Williams' hand but amazingly it missed vital tendons and veins.
The fire brigade had to lift off the whole floorboard to take him to the City General hospital in Newcastle-Under-Lyme.
After just one hour in theatre, Mr Williams was freed from the nail.
He said: 'The fire chief said he hadn’t seen anything like it in 40 years, I ended up having to go to hospital with a floorboard attached to my hand.
'When I got to hospital the doctors weren’t sure if they should push or pull it out, I had to go into theatre for an hour for them to remove the nail.
'The doctors said I was very lucky I hadn’t hit a nerve or any of the circulatory system.'

source: dailymail

0 comments:

Post a Comment